Author Topic: Insulated hive or not  (Read 169 times)

jhall

• Drone

• View Profile
Insulated hive or not
« on: February 18, 2021, 06:54:14 pm »
West Texas the temps get up to 120. mild winters.  i have standard hive bodys with 11/2 vent holes.  i wonder if an insulated hive with vent holes would keep them cooler or just make them hotter..  Thoughts?

vadentwin

• Bee Master

• View Profile
Re: Insulated hive or not
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 09:30:14 pm »
Here in Florida I use screen bottoms and they seem to be able to regulate the temps better. Before I used screen bottoms they would beard up on the fronts in the heat of the day. I leave the screen bottoms year round and they do fine in our mild winters.

Dirt Rooster

• Administrator
  • Bee Master

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 09:08:07 am »
More insulation is better summer or winter in my opinion.  It makes the hive temperatures easier to regulate.  Inside temperatures aren't so quickly affected by outside fluctuations.  I recently started making my top covers double thick to help make a more manageable situation for the bees.  Especially the ones in full sun seem to do better with them.  If it were feasible I wouldn't mind having all my hive boxes made out of 2X material.

OkieRob

• Worker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 05:11:21 pm »
More insulation is better summer or winter in my opinion.  It makes the hive temperatures easier to regulate.  Inside temperatures aren't so quickly affected by outside fluctuations.  I recently started making my top covers double thick to help make a more manageable situation for the bees.  Especially the ones in full sun seem to do better with them.  If it were feasible I wouldn't mind having all my hive boxes made out of 2X material.

Bring a saw mill and I'll let you slab up some red cedar as thick as you want.

Dirt Rooster

• Administrator
  • Bee Master

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 09:22:06 pm »
I'll be over your way in a week and a half, not for the wood though.  Riding to California with Travis at Bee Wise LLC out of Duncan, OK to work bees on almonds.  Funny, as I type this I'm eating Jordan almonds.